Innovations in Water Management for Mining and Metals Industry
Start-ups or SMEs with innovative water management solutions are invited to apply
As part of its commitment to sustainable and responsible mining practices, Eramet has launched a new start-up competition in collaboration with EIT RawMaterials: the Eramet Water Resource Innovation Challenge 2023.
Water is a crucial resource in the mining and metals production, but its availability and quality are limited. The mining industry uses water for a variety of purposes, including mineral processing, dust suppression, slurry transport and storage, and extraction processes. Global water demand is projected to increase by 55 per cent by 2050 (OECD 2012) while global water shortage resulting from climate change aggravates. The Eramet Water Resource Innovation Challenge is about taking action to tackle the water challenges. In fact, Eramet has made water conservation one of the objectives of its 2018-2023 CSR roadmap – and will very soon make it a major priority in its new roadmap.
This innovation challenge aims to accelerate change within the mining and metals industry to minimize its environmental impact while also ensuring access to valuable resources. It calls for breakthrough solutions that will help create a better future for all.
Apply to the Eramet Water Resource Innovation
Eramet is calling impact start-ups or SMEs from around the world to propose innovative technologies or products that address key water challenges of the mining and metals industry to protect our water resources.
WHY APPLY :
FUNDING: Win a 50,000 € prize to test and deploy your solution or product.
VISIBILITY: Showcase your solution to Eramet leaders and gain recognition.
CONNECTIONS: Receive technical and business support by industry experts.
Get your chance to secure 50,000€ funding to work together with Eramet on the next steps such as a Proof of Concept.
Addressing Key Water Challenges
The mining industry faces significant challenges in managing water resources sustainably, including water scarcity, water pollution, and conflicts with other water users. That is why Eramet is looking for disruptive solutions designed to deliver rapid, transformative change towards a sustainable mining and metals industry. The primary focus of this challenge is to minimize the environmental impact of the mining and metals industry, and to promote sustainable development through technology.
Do you have a disruptive solution that fits to one of Eramet’s focus areas:
Control and management of water consumption, water reuse, water recovery from high salinity streams, predictive water management, leakage detection
Monitoring water quality at mining sites, drinking water supply, reduce waste water, improve sedimentation.
Revegetation in water-stress areas, rehabilitation and restoration of waterways.
How to join the Challenge
In this section, you will find everything you need to know about the application and the selection process. The call for applications is now open and will end on 13 September 2023 at 20:00 CET.
Who can apply?
We welcome applicants that are:
- Companies, start-ups or SMEs, composed of a team of at least 2 people
- Providing a solution with an advanced technological maturity, at least level 5 on the TRL scale (technology readiness level). The proposed solutions should be scalable, technically feasible, economically viable, and environmentally sustainable.
- Addressing one of the key challenges and applications of Eramet’s mining and metals business.
How to apply
To apply for the Eramet Water Resource Innovation Challenge, start-ups should submit a proposal on the application portal that includes:
- A description of the proposed solution and its potential impact: Technical excellence and development stage
- Innovation, competitive advantage and technical feasibility of the solution
- The team's qualifications and experience
- The proposed timeline and budget for developing and testing the solution
Participation is free of charge.
- Launch : 5 June 2023
- Submission: The proposals should be submitted by 13 September 2023, 20h00 CET on the application portal.
- Pitch Event: 10 candidates will be selected to pitch their solutions to the jury on 25 October 2023 (online event).
- Final: The best 3 candidates will have the opportunity to be coached by Eramet experts. The final which will take place in January 2024 in Paris (in-person event).
The winner will start the collaboration with Eramet shortly after the final.