Welcome to the Responsible Mining challenge!
in partnership with EIT RawMaterials
Eramet is a major player in the extraction and recovery of metals as well as the production and transformation of high-performance alloys. Eramet also develops activities with high growth potential, such as lithium treatment and recycling, which will play a key role in the energy transition and the mobility of tomorrow.
Compete for a chance to win a collaboration contract with Eramet (up to EUR 50k). Together, we will turn your idea into reality, building a better, responsible mining industry of tomorrow!
This is a great opportunity for start-ups and SMEs to collaborate with Eramet!
- Validate your solution with a large industrial player
- Prize: EUR 50k for the realisation of your project
- Possible opportunity for long-term collaboration
- Gain visibility at the top management level
- Receive coaching by industry experts
Be part of the challenge!
Application closes on 15 September 2021, 20:00 CET
Join us in shaping the future of responsible mining!
One of the main challenges of the European industry towards green energy is the increasing demand for raw materials combined with high import dependency. For a sustainable supply of mineral resources, Europe needs to strengthen the extraction, processing and recycling capabilities. Smart and environmental-friendly solutions will enable the mining industry to remain competitive and become more sustainable. Corporate social responsibility leads the way to a responsible future in mining by paying careful attention to mineral resources and their processing.
Eramet takes a 360° CSR approach integrating environment, climate, human rights, ethics and traceability of their products. Emerging technologies play a major role in advancing the mining industry, reducing the environmental impact of mining operations, as well as improving efficiency and reducing costs.
Do you have an innovative idea that would make an impact, and fits to one of Eramet’s focus areas? Eramet seeks innovative technology solutions that focus on:
- Environmentally friendly exploration: Large-scale remote sensing and data integration employing various geophysical and geochemical exploration methods in remote, densely vegetated and/or difficult to access terranes that reliably help to target prospective areas for different commodities with reduced environmental impact and cost & time savings.
- Water management: Reliable and cost-effective solutions for monitoring water quality and erosion associated with surface water.
- Smart solutions to reduce water consumption and emissions (dust, noise, toxic output) throughout the mining operation.
- Safety and monitoring at remote mining sites: The management of infrastructure (e.g. geotechnically sensitive areas such as tailings dams, etc.), equipment (e.g, haul trucks), and corresponding data in a time- and cost-efficient manner, ensuring continuous, real-time monitoring that leads to increased resource efficiency and safety.
- Mine rehabilitation & biodiversity: Efficient and easy-to-use solutions in mine rehabilitation and revegetation of mining sites as well as durable and maintenance-free solutions for biodiversity (wildlife) tracking.
- Traceability of raw materials and processed materials throughout the operation in a transparent and secure way e.g. by using blockchain technology
This is not an exhaustive list of applications and other solutions that fit the topic of responsible mining will also be considered.
- Launch: 15 June 2021
- Submission Deadline: 15 September 2021, 20:00 CET
- Assessment: 15 September - 20 October
10 successful applicants will be invited to pitch.
- Pitch event: 9 November 2021
3 successful applicants will be invited to participate in the final
- Final selection: by mid-February 2021
Announcement of the winner!
Who can participate?
- You are a private company (Start-up, SME, or other)
- Your solution meets at least one of the application areas
- Your proven solution (>TRL level 5) is state-of-the-art
The jury will take into account the following criteria in its assessment:
- The idea’s contribution to Eramet’s business goals
- Potential for development towards implementation in business
- Technical excellence, development stage, and IP status
- Height of innovation, competitive advantage, and value-creating potential
- Impact of the product/service and exploitation plan
- The team behind the idea and its composition